Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Thankful

I got to spend the evening with my cousin, Collin. I hadn't seen him in about a week and a half and he looked better today than he did the last time I saw him. His eyes are still sewn shut, but he seemed to be in a good mood while my brother and I entertained him with stories. I am just amazed that he has come so far in such a short time. I know to him it seems like forever.

Collin told us about all the surgeries and showed us where he had been stitched up on his leg and arm. He said that when they did the surgery on his face the doctors couldn't find all the facial bones. Great. And in a few months they will have to go back in and reconstruct his right eye socket.

I was sitting there wondering how he could have so much patience to deal with all he is having to deal with right now. At one point tonight, he dropped a pill and the nurse spent a good 5 minutes digging around his bed for it. And he told us later that it was frustrating to have her do that. He also tols us about overhearing some nurses complain about working, and he got on to them about it.

He has so many reasons to complain, and he didn't at all. Maybe it was just because we weren't around ling enought to hear him say anything, but I wouldn't have blamed him if he felt inclined to do so. I am thankful every day that God spared his life, and I know his family and friends feel the same way. It was definitely a humbling experience tonight. Hope you all have a blessed Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. So many things don't matter. Everything happens for a reason. One day at a time. God's the only strength we have. Every little thing is a big thing to treasure. Enjoy the moment, as much as possible. It's a hospital motto. ;-) I'm praying for your cousin, and am glad you learned from him, today. :-) Being in the hospital always keeps one humble...it's why I love that God allows me to be there, often. Love you guys! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete